Crispy Panko Chicken
This is probably one of my husband’s favorite ways to eat chicken. He says that he really likes the flavor and the crunchiness of it, and claims that it is one of his top comfort meals when served with mashed potatoes and sautéed kale. I like to eat it over a bed of quinoa or polenta with a side of roasted or steamed veggies. The image above shows a classic chicken and waffles combination because that is how I made it most recently.
This is my take on a healthier version of fried chicken. Don’t get me wrong, fried chicken done properly is awesome. But it is something that I would rather get when I’m eating out in a place that specializes in it.
The leftovers make a great sandwich, topped with some fresh baby greens, maybe a slice of tomato, and some melty cheese. Or, of course, sliced into a taco or on top of a salad.
Make sure you have room to set up your dredging station. I always do mine next to the sink because I tend to make a mess. And in my head at least, it makes sense to do anything with raw meat next to the sink to make it easier to clean up.
Pat each piece of chicken dry before dipping it into the egg and then completely coating it with the panko mixture. Place each piece on a rack that has been sprayed or wiped with oil to help prevent sticking.
The rack is important because it allows the hot air to completely circle around the chicken. This allows the entire piece of chicken, top and bottom, to get good and crispy. Hey, where did that little, seventh piece go?!
Crispy Panko Chicken
- baking sheet with rack
- 1 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6 – 8 thighs)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 1 ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp cayenne (optional, adjust for your desired spicy level)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- oil or cooking spray to coat the rack
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Place a rack on top of a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray or wipe down with oil.
- In one bowl large enough to hold a piece of chicken, beat the eggs. In another bowl, preferably a wide bowl large enough to lay the chicken piece flat, mix the panko, parmesan cheese, and spices.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Then dip each piece into the egg mixture and drop it into the panko mixture, making sure the chicken is fully coated. Lay on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 35 – 40 minutes until the chicken is crispy on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
- Serve with your choice of sides and enjoy!