Ginger Peach Scones
These scones mix the end of summer with sweet peaches and fall with some spicy ginger. They are a delicious, moist scone with pops of spicy-sweet flavor bits. If peaches are already out of season, feel free to substitute with your favorite ginger pairing.
The trick with scones is not to overmix the dough and to handle it gently.
A food processor helps make this process quick and easy. If you don’t have a food processor, use a large mixing bowl with a whisk and pastry blender or a large fork.
Add all the dry ingredients to the bowl of the food processor and pulse a couple of times to work out any lumps. Or, whisk the dry ingredients to get out the lumps.
Next, add cold butter chunks and pulse or use the pastry blender until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add buttermilk and pulse of gently mix just until the mixture is incorporated. Then, gently mix in diced ginger and peaches.
Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and pat into a circle about an inch thick. Cut the dough like a pizza into 8 wedges.
Spread out onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Brush the tops with some melted butter and then bake for about 20 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Try your best to let the scones cool before you start eating them. Enjoy!
Ginger Peach Scones
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp cold butter, cut into chunks
- ½ cup cold buttermilk
- 3 heaping tbsp finely diced crystallized ginger
- 1 heaping cup finely diced peaches (about 1 large peach)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a couple of times to get out any lumps. Or, add all ingredients into a bowl and whisk together to get out any lumps.
- Add the cold butter chunks to the food processor and pulse until the mixture looks like fine bread crumbs. By hand, use a pastry blender or a fork to incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients.
- Add the buttermilk and pulse or whisk just until incorporated. Gently mix in the diced peaches and crystallized ginger.
- Turn the mixture onto a gently floured surface and gently pat into a circle about 1 inch thick. The mixture will be wet but don't overwork it. Cut into 8 wedges, just like a pizza.
- Spread the wedges out onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Gently brush the melted butter on top of each scone.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Let cool slightly before diving in and enjoying!